Sunday, September 26, 2010

My first Fisk

New Fisk:
In art, I was always a subversive. Told about the genius of Mozart, I would demand to hear Bruckner's Fourth in E flat major or Mahler's Second in C minor, the "Resurrection" (Klemperer, of course).

When my music teacher wanted me to study Sibelius, I insisted on listening to the symphonies of Carl Nielsen. (They were at least Finnish contemporaries.) Push Delibes at me, and I demanded Albert Roussel's Symphony No 3. I couldn't stand the silly plots of 18th-century opera. Most of all, I couldn't stand to have music chosen for me. If I was supposed to like Vaughan Williams, I would choose Britten.

Occasionally, I got it right. Britten, for example.
Ah yes, but Nielsen was Danish. And how is preferring Britten to Vaughan Williams getting it right? It is not a contest. As for Metsu or Vermeer, what about Cuyp and Hals?

Or what about Frank Zappa and Steve Allen?

5 comments:

Adolf Fiinkensein said...

If that's a fisk, you should stick to celibacy.

Stephen Stratford said...

Fisk's accuracy on Nielsen's nationality is a marker for his accuracy on other subjects.

And yes, why do we have to choose between Britten and Vaughan Williams? As you say, it is not a contest. Some of us like some of one or the other; some of us some of like both. Some of us even like most of both plus all of Birtwistle.

I did like this Fisk sentence: "I'm not sure, on balance, whether I can really put Metsu above Vermeer." Phew. That will reassure the art-history crowd that they haven't all got it wrong for the last three and a half centuries.

Stephen Stratford said...

"Some of us like some of one or the other; some of us some of like both."

Doh. What I meant was: "Some of us like some of one or the other; some of us like some of both."

Paul said...

It does make one wonder; anybody who would make that blunder invites suspicion. After all, Nielsen is known as a nationalist composer and it is not as if his name could be mistaken for that of a Finn. Mr Fisk is trying to convince us he is erudite and falling on his face at the first paragraph.

David said...

Hi,

Great post, I like this post.

I 've added your blog to My Interesting Blog List at

http://nasa-space-info.blogspot.com

So would you put my blog too, on you...

you can get healthy traffic from us and our visitors can get relative and useful information form your site.

Hope you would add my blog.
Thanks a lot.Keep blogging....