Friday, March 20, 2015

Woodenhead



"Woodenhead" writes to the Manawatu Daily Times: "Sir, In your article on the question of architecture in New Zealand arising out of some remarks made by the Governor, you have hit the nail on the head in stating that the people who build are at fault in going to the Builders instead of an architect for a plan. The result is poorly designed and badly built houses. I built a house some time back, and was foolish enough to go to a builder, with the result that I regret it very much now. My house after one summer is falling to pieces. I find that the builder has no ideas beyond the ordinary cottage, also that his plan and specification is not binding on him, and he can do as he likes. I certainly saved the architect's fees, but my house was ruined for ever, and what I have been saving up for years for resulted in disappointment."


Taranaki Herald 
7 October 1908 
Page 4

No comments: