Wednesday, February 27, 2019

The summer of '63


One day, in the summer of 1963 (or in could have been later in the year), I was in the store waiting for my guitar instructor to arrive, when Ben (who was always trying to 'drum up' business) said; “Hey Bill look at this!”. He knew I didn’t own an electric guitar at that time. I was still learning the Mel Bay method on a cheap acoustic, so I knew almost nothing about electric guitars. As he pulled out three (3) guitar cases from a stack on the right side of the store, he went on to say that Gibson Guitars needed to reduce their inventory. They needed money and were clearing out their warehouse and selling every guitar they could to dealers. He said he knew someone in a high position there and had bought a group of guitars they had found lying around the warehouse. He said he got the instruments to sell to the “kids”. 


When Bill Cherry played the Gibson Moderne.





Emily Remler:





No comments: