Tuesday, June 19, 2007

I know it's out of fashion and a trifle uncool

My apologies for my inactivity but I have been wrapped up in architecture; since you ask, I have been constructing and then deconstructing an institutional theory of architectural aesthetics (I don't expect this to mean anything to anybody but I thought that, if I proclaim publicly what I am doing, I will have more incentive to complete it).

Anyway, whilst I have been away, folks have been fighting the culture war right here in the barn. I will make my modest contribution soon but, since Eliot has been mentioned, I will direct you to All Embracing but Underwhelming, where Horansome has declared open season on philosophising and I have leapt in with that little matter of the taxi driver and Bertrand Russell.

Since Pablo mentioned Punk in the comments on this blog, and since it is Fundy Post Canadian Music Month, I should also direct you here.

And here is Martha and the Muffins. In case you are wondering which one is Martha, they both are. Martha on the keyboards went on to sing with the Associates and you can see her doing that and pretending to play violin here. Again, I do not expect that to mean anything to anybody, but then Fundy Post readers are often surprising.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul, you might know about this already, but if you're in Wellington this Friday, there's an interesting talk at Vic on the Evolution-Creationism debate in the US, to be delivered by US academic and author Michael Ruse. Sadly, I've got a timetable clash, but am trying to reschedule.

Anonymous said...

I am only familiar with one of Martha and the Muffins' songs - "Echo Beach" - but find it very likeable. I've never found anything else of theirs for sale, unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the Associates. Thanks for reminding me Paul. I've just spent the morning trawling Youtube for half forgotten favourites (my sister stole my album 20 years ago, dammit!). And here I am in Dundee too.

Peter

Anonymous said...

Eddie - could you post more detail about the Michael Ruse talk? I can't find any info at VUW's website.

Anonymous said...

"I have been constructing and then deconstructing an institutional theory of architectural aesthetics"

if it can explain (and point to a means to reverse) why materials and aesthetics have become so goddam sterile then I for one am waiting with baited breath..

Anonymous said...

Tom -- Here's what I got in my inbox:

This is a reminder that the June Faculty of Humanities and Social Science Interdisciplinary seminar will be presented by Professor Michael Ruse, Lucyle T. Werkmeister Professor at Florida State University.

Professor Ruse is one of the world’s leading scholars of the Philosophy of Biology. His research interests range from evolution and sexuality to ethics and religion and his extensive publications include "The Philosophy of Biology" (1973), "The Darwinian Revolution: Science Red in Tooth and Claw" (1979) and most recently "Darwinism and its Discontents" (2006).

The subject of his talk will be:

The Evolution - Creation Struggle: An American Story

When: Friday 22nd June at 3.15 p.m.

Where: Wood Seminar Room (Old Kirk 406)

More Information Contact:

Matthew Trundle
matthew.trundle@vuw.ac.nz
463-6785