Friday, December 21, 2007

99 problems and the blog ain't one

Blimey. Just when it looked as if nothing much was going on around here, the Fundy Post has had greatness thrust upon it. A company called Socialrank, which makes clever little algorithms to assess blogs, has compiled a list of the top one hundred Atheist sites in the blogworld. There, among such luminaries as The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Pharyngula and Flumadiddle, is the Fundy Post. And what's more, the selection process was done by twenty key bloggers in the Atheist niche; I have been peer-reviewed. They have even given me a virtual plaque, which I have hung at the at the top right.

Quite how this all came about is beyond my ken. I have never thought of this as an atheist blog; rather as an autobiographical narrative written by an author who does not much care to talk about himself and who, for that matter, does not much care for stories. The fact of my atheism and of my fascination with religious politics is just something that is part of the mix, along with art, literature and Sophie Ellis Bextor. However, my peers apparently think otherwise, so I shall not turn down this accolade. Besides, it will really piss off Bill Cooke, which is reason enough.

You never know, it might also prompt somebody to offer me a writing job. Perhaps I might also be the subject of one of those profiles in North and South which feature New Zealanders playing on the world stage and show how New Zealand punches above its weight. Metro, as well, might like to think about a feature, or at least lunch.

Anyway, enough about me. This blog's ranking is now in the hands of the algorithm, which weighs the Fundy Post in the balance daily. The score, which has risen a healthy four points this week, is determined in large part by the amount of activity and linkage the blog receives. So I have you, gentle readers, to thank. It is the lurking and linking and commenting which makes the points. And points mean prizes, or at least kudos.

I was going to entitle this post "don't cha wish your boyfriend was hot like me" but I thought that would be a little immodest.

8 comments:

Megan Clayton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm sure that North and South would judge you and yer blog World Class, not least given your country of origin.

When journalists and marketing persons talk of New Zealand playing on the world stage, I remember the little moans and sighs of Alan Mulgan's Home: A Colonial's Adventure (1928), a whole different kind of don't cha.

Anonymous said...

(also, the deleted comment was mine. Blogger/Google inelegantly signed me in under my offline name.)

Paul said...

Thank you. Your secret is safe with me.

Anonymous said...

Here's a little Sophie Ellis-Bextor for your discretion.

Anonymous said...

You beat Pharyngula! Wowzers!

So, does that challengereligion gif up in the right-hand corner track visitors to see how awesome you are? If so, blocky blocky!

Anonymous said...

I'm so getting you this for Christmas

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how the algorithm put you above Pharyngula but such arcanity is as you say, not for the likes of us to question. So many congratulations and if you are not snapped up by one of NZ's august non daily publications I think questions should be asked in the House.